What to Wear
Outfit Tips for Engagement Sessions
One question we get asked all the time as photographers is “what should I wear?” – outfits can really make or break the overall outcome of your final images! Determining the overall sense of style you want for your engagement photos beforehand will make you much happier with the end result. The goal here is to choose outfits that make you and your fiance both feel COMFORTABLE and CONFIDENT. Below are our top tips on choosing great outfits for your engagement session. We also encourage you to read our “5 Tips for Your Engagement Session” to help you know what to expect for your session. Enjoy!
- Most couples choose to bring two outfits for their engagement session; one is typically on the dressier side and the other is more casual and relaxed. We suggest beginning in the more “formal” outfits then changing to the casual outfits after you get more comfortable behind the camera.
- Coordinating doesn’t mean “matching”! Don’t feel like you have to wear the exact same blue, wearing the same color in a different shade is actually more ideal than trying to match.
- SIMPLE is best! Stick to solids and simple patterns (no pictures, logos, words) and add layers and accessories. When it comes to patterns, it’s better to choose a bigger pattern (like a big plaid) rather than a teeny, tiny pattern (like a little checkered shirt) since these don’t photograph as well (the camera actually has a hard time picking up tiny, detailed patterns in clothing!).
- Accessorize and layer! This looks great for photos; open jackets, vests, cardigans, scarves, big necklaces, etc. It can be fun to add one bold pop of color (so helpful in winter) or pattern. If one person is wearing a lot of color or bold pattern, just make sure the other person is in something neutral to balance your outfits.
- Consider if you’d like to choose outfits that will coordinate with your wedding colors. This isn’t something every couple does but it can be a fun idea. Also keep in mind that if you want to hang any prints in your house, it’s smart to make sure your clothing doesn’t clash with your interior decor.
- Make sure your outfits are “equal” – meaning if the bride-to-be is wearing a nice dress, don’t have the guy in shorts and a T-shirt!
- Pay attention to shoes (we may have had one or two guys show up in a nice shirt and pants and grungy tennis shoes!!)…Wear solid colored shoes if possible (multi-colored shoes draw a lot of attention).
- Lastly, choose clothing that is FLATTERING on you! Everybody has a color or a cut of clothing that looks great on them, as well as colors and styles that do not flatter their skin-tone or figure. Most of us have some part of our body that we’re a little self-conscious about, so if it’s your arms, don’t wear a strapless dress or sleeveless shirt! If it’s your legs, don’t wear a mini-skirt. If you never wear yellow it’s probably not a good idea to wear a yellow shirt for your engagement session. Overall, you want to be in something that you feel confident wearing.
We hope these tips are helpful as you choose your outfits – we can’t wait to see what you and your fiance come up with!
All our best,
Tyler & Melanie